"About eighty percent of the full force of your defensive immune system resides in your intestines or gut. This makes sense, since most toxins will enter through your mouth..."
When it comes down to it, you're only as strong as your immune system!
The digestive system supports the body by performing two essential functions: (1) absorption of nutrients and (2) the elimination of harmful bacteria. A healthy digestive system maintains a strong line of defense against pathogens that we breathe in, consume in our foods, and pick up through personal contact. When our digestive system becomes weakened, we become much more susceptible to being exposed to bacterial and viral infections.
Recent mainstream media coverage of the "H1N1 flu Pandemic" suggests that more than 2 billion people worldwide will be infected with the swine flu virus in the next two years. On top of this disturbing figure, controversy surrounds the safety and efficacy of flu vaccinations as a soon-to-be-available form of flu prevention.
Personally, I think it's much more important to prevent ALL infections from entering the body, rather than just one.. This means keeping your immune system healthy and strong. The key to a strong immune system rests in the optimal functioning of our digestive system.
Boost Your Immune System Through Food
* Avoid Sugar: This includes foods that taste sweet, even fruit. The exceptions to this rule would be foods with "natural" artificial sweeteners such as, stevia, yacon syrup and sugar alcohols, such as xylitol or erythritol.
* Avoid Alcohol: The negative effects FAR outweigh the positive. Enough said!
* Avoid Starchy Food:Cross these starchy foods off your shopping list: anything with at least 65% starch, all flour, all grains (whole or otherwise), potatoes, corn, sweet potatoes, yams and many other root vegetables.
* Eat Good Fats:Seek out fats in properly raised animal products and other fats that humans have been consuming for thousands of years.These omega-3's and conjugated linoleic acids (CLA's) help us regulate blood sugar levels, aid cell repair and enhance immune system function. Great fats include: raw nuts, avocado, beef, egg yolks, chicken skin, olive oil, coconut oil and butter.These are from animals that live a happy, healthy, hormone-free, grass-fed, pastured, organic, active and stress-free life!
* Avoid Bad Fats:Don't consume polyunsaturated fats from seed, nut, and vegetable oils.
Boost Your Immune System Through Sleep:
Sleep is the biggest immunological defense mechanism that exists. It defends us from potentially harmful organisms in our environment.The National Institutes of Health confirms that sleep is a scientific "given" and that light-and-dark cycles,
a.Turn hormone production on and off
b. Activate your immune system
c. Time neurotransmitter release daily, and especially seasonally
Until 75 years ago, we spent up to 14 hours a night - depending on the season - in the dark!
*"If you don't sleep for a night, you might get your work done. If you don't sleep for a week, not only does your work suffer, you might die."
Boost Your Immune System With Supplements:
*Immunitone: This is the immune systems boosting/viral fighting powerhouse of a supplement containing: echinacea and andrographis, both shown to shorten the duration and severity of infections, but best taken before they occur. It also contains elderberry, which has been shown to fight against the spread of viruses like influenza.
* Olive Leaf Extract: This has been shown to be an effective anti-viral herb and can be used preventatively as an immune system booster.
* Immunity Take Care: This is a virus killer!Eliminates the reproductive capabilities of the virus.
* Bee Propolus: Strengthens our natural immune capabilities.